Return Assurance is an option that thredUP offers for each individual Clean Out Bag. Return Assurance returns items that we do not accept for a fee of $10.99.
Important to know:
- Return Assurance is only eligible for Clean Out Bags receiving a payout (Donation Clean Out Bags cannot have unaccepted items returned)
- Return Assurance MUST be added to a Clean Out Bag prior to thredUP receiving the bag
- If a Clean Out Bag has Return Assurance added, only items thredUP does not accept for resale will be returned to you
- If a Clean Out Bag has Return Assurance added, a fee of $10.99 will be deducted from your Clean Out Bag earnings
- If all items are accepted from a Clean Out Bag, no fee will be charged
- If there are not sufficient earnings from the Clean Out Bag to cover the fee, the remainder of the fee will be deducted from the user’s account balance if available
- If Return Assurance was added to a Clean Out Bag and no items are accepted from the bag, the email sent to you regarding your Clean Out Bag being processed will include a message to contact the thredUP support team to arrange having your items returned.
Note: Return Assurance only includes items not accepted from a bag and is different than reclaiming a consignment item
There are two ways to add Return Assurance to your Clean Out Bag:
- At the time of ordering a Clean Out Kit
- You may choose to have your unaccepted items recycled or returned to you (Return Assurance)
- In your account
- By logging into your thredUP account and navigating to My Selling History, you will see a checkbox in the Return Assurance column. If the box is checked, Return Assurance has been added for that specific Clean Out Bag (this must be added before thredUP receives your Clean Out Bag).
*Note: Return Assurance cannot be added to Donation Clean Out Bags.
If Return Assurance was added for a Clean Out Bag and that specific bag has already been processed by thredUP, it can be tracked by:
- Logging in to your thredUP account and navigating to My Selling History
- Clicking on the specific bag that is being returned to you
- Clicking the “Track your returned items” link on the Bag Details page
Why can't I add/sign up for Return Assurance?
Return Assurance is only available up until thredUP receives your Clean Out Bag. If you do not see a checkbox in the Return Assurance column on your My Selling History page, you either have a Donation Clean Out Bag or your Clean Out Bag for payout has been received by thredUP, and the option to add/remove Return Assurance can no longer be changed.
Once thredUP receives a Clean Out Bag, we check to see if Return Assurance has been added to that specific bag. If it has been added, the bag is labeled as such, and thredUP sets aside any unaccepted items to be returned to the customer. If Return Assurance has not been added to the Clean Out Bag, any items not accepted, get mixed with items from other Clean Out Bags, and cannot be separated out at that point.
Why won't my items be returned if no items are accepted from my Clean Out Bag?
thredUP trusts that customers take the time to check their items and send only great quality clothing that they believe can be resold on thredUP.com. Return Assurance is offered in good faith that customers are doing their part to screen the clothing they send to thredUP and is intended as a way to return the few items in a Clean Out Bag that the customer may have missed, with the hope that they can make use of the clothing elsewhere.
This also helps customers better understand the thredUP quality standards for future Clean Out Bags they send us. The intention is not to return Clean Out Bags full of items.
If Return Assurance was added to a Clean Out Bag and no items are accepted from the bag, the email sent to you regarding your Clean Out Bag being processed will include a message to contact the thredUP support team to arrange having your items returned.
Question not answered? Click here to send us a message.