Pay Your Fashion Forward: Turn clothes into cash for charities
Want to UP the feel-good factor when you CleanOut with thredUP?
Donation Program Overview:
At thredUP, we’re inspiring a new generation of shoppers to think secondhand first. And now that inspiration can do even more good. Every year, 95% of the clothes and textiles that end up in our landfills could be used again. A Donation Bag decreases waste, closes the loop, and gives the items that we don’t need to those who truly do!
Instead of requesting a Payout Bag, choose to donate your Clean Out Bag to a charity of your choice, supporting families, education, natural disaster relief, and the environment. Send us your fully functional clothing items in good repair and on trend. We are delighted to work with these Charities to better the lives of families, education, and the environment. Instead of a payout, you'll get a tax receipt and those warm and fuzzy feelings that only come from helping others. That's a karmic win-win.
How It Works
- Request a Clean Out Bag and select "I want to Donate My Bag to Charity." Choose the charity you wish to donate to.
- We’ll send you a Clean Out Bag with a pre-paid shipping label. Fill it with the same high-quality, on-trend items you would normally send to us.
- We contract with the charity to handle your bag and purchase the clothing from the charity. All purchase proceeds go to the charity. Within 4-6 weeks of your bag being received, you will receive a tax-deductible donation receipt via email from thredUP or the designated charity. Note: Neither thredUP or the Charity partner can assign value to your donations. Please refer to IRS regulations pertaining tax deductibility for your donations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is thredUP participating in this program? We want to offer our customers an easy way to maximize their closet’s potential to do good and support the causes they care most about.
- What Do I Donate? Anything you would typically sell to thredUP (fully functional clothing items in good repair and on trend) will be perfect for our Donation program.
- How did we select our charity partners? Our charity partners support families, education, natural disaster relief, and the environment.
- How does the charity get my donation? Once we receive your Clean Out Bag, we purchase the clothing from the charity and all purchase proceeds go directly to the charity.
- Does the charity receive my donated clothing or the monetary proceeds from my clothing? The charity does not receive your clothing. The purchase price we pay the charity is based on what you have donated and the overall quality of clothing that all our customers donate.
- What will I receive in return? You will receive a tax-deductible donation receipt within 4-6 weeks after your Clean Out Bag is received. Plus, a huge hug from thredUP and all the families and organizations that will benefit from your generosity.
- How Do I Donate? When ordering your Clean Out Bag, simply select “I want to Donate my Bag to Charity”. We’ll send you a Clean Out bag with a pre-paid shipping label to send us the clothing you want to donate
- Does the Charity get my payout amount? No they don’t. The Charity is paid an amount based in part on what you have donated and the overall quality of clothing that all of our customers donate.
- Can I get a tax receipt? Yes, you will receive a tax receipt within 4-6 weeks of your bag being received at thredUP.
- Can I get a tax deduction? Yes, your donation is tax deductible. You will receive a tax receipt within 4-6 weeks of your bag being received at thredUP.